The Fire Within
Come and see local heritage and artist displays at The Fire Within. There’s a whole host of things to look at, from George Orwell’s first edition ‘Road to Wigan Pier’ book, to a gigantic emoji stage, an ancient Egyptian mask, to coal slagheaps and even taxidermy.
- Monday – Saturday
- 11am – 3pm
- Free admission
- 1st Floor, The Galleries Shopping Centre, Wigan Town Centre
Liam Fallon: Exhibition
The Turnpike are pleased to present the first solo exhibition by artist MMU graduate Liam Fallon.
- Friday 26th July 2019 – Saturday 7th September 2019
- Tuesday - Friday: 10am to 4pm, Saturdays: 10am to 2pm
- The Turnpike, Civic Square, Leigh, WN7 1EB
- Free exhibition.
Leigh and Wigan’s Female Reform Unions and Peterloo
Talk by Yvonne Eckersley.
On 16th August 1819, 60,000 men, women and children from the Manchester area walked to St Peter’s Field in support of political reform. Within half an hour at least fifteen people sustained fatal injuries and many more were bludgeoned, maimed or crushed by horses. Join Yvonne on the 200th anniversary of the massacre to hear the story of how Wigan and Leigh radicals protested in the narrow streets of Leigh as well as the wide open space of Amberswood Common.
- Friday 16th August 2019: 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Museum of Wigan Life, Library Street, Wigan, WN1 1NU
- Tickets: - £3.00 including tea/coffee - Places are limited so please book by phoning 01942 828128 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Manchester United U23s v Reading
Manchester United U23's play the majority of their home games in Premier League 2 at Leigh Sports Village, with all games free to enter. A fantastic, family-friendly way to enjoy world class football.
Wigan Live Festival
A free charity music festival taking place across six venues in Wigan town centre, including some of the best unsigned bands and soloists from the local area and beyond. There’s truly something for everyone.
Food fest on the Square
Food Fest on the Square is back and it will be in Wigan Town Centre every third Saturday of the month, April until October! Head over to Market Hall Square between 12pm and 8pm to enjoy food, drink and live music. Great partnership working again with Galleries Wigan & Haigh Foodie Friday.
- Saturday 17th August 2019: 12:00pm – 8:00pm
- The Galleries Shopping Centre, Wigan, WN1 1AR
- Free event
Northern Soul and Motown
DJ Deano and crew will be bringing you the very best classic Northern Soul and Motown.
- Saturday 17th August 2019: 7:30pm – 11:45pm
- The Old Courts, Crawford Street, Wigan, WN1 1NA
- Visit - www.theoldcourts.com for more information
Haigh Woodland Park Artisan Market
Over 80 awesome artisans with art, food, craft, design, drinks, sensational street food, outstanding live music and a great community atmosphere.
- Sunday 18th August 2019: 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Haigh Woodland Park, Wigan, WN2 1PE
- Free event
Music in the Park
Come and enjoy a fantastic free open air concert performed by The Band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines Portsmouth (Royal Band).
Artisan Food Market
The last Saturday of every month Wigan Market will host a pop-up Artisan Food and Drink Market.
Why not head down to Wigan Market and try out yummy street food, homemade treats and taste something a little different!
- Saturday 31st August 2019: 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Wigan Market, Wigan, WN1 1PX
- Free event
Disco dome and zorb balls in Mesnes Park
Open seven days a week over the summer holidays.
- 10am-5pm in the sports zone near the bowls pavilion
- £2 for each activity
- Wigan WN1 1TU