Domestic abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse from a partner, ex-partner or family member, you can get free and confidential help.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse can take many forms including:

  • Physical abuse may include slapping, punching, spitting, pinching or grabbing
  • Emotional or mental abuse may involve constant criticism, threats to you or your family, not allowing you to sleep or have your freedom, withholding food or money.
  • Sexual abuse may include being forced to have sex without consent or to do things that make you feel uncomfortable
  • Harassment may include phone calls, following you, turning up at work or where you are socialising, sitting outside your house.

How can I get help?

You can get help and support from a number of local and Greater Manchester organisations:

Domestic Abuse
 Organisation Helpline
Police (non emergency) 101
Police (emergency) 999

WHAG (Wigan Housing Action Group) (external link) -
Wigan community domestic abuse project for men and women

01942 832 360
DIAS (Drop In And Share) (external link) 01942 495230
Victim Support (external link) - Greater Manchester and Wigan 0300 303 0162
RESPECT (external link) - help for those using violence or abuse in their relationship 0808 802 4040
National Domestic Abuse helpline (external link) - a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. 0808 2000 247
(24 hour helpline)

Your Housing Group (external link) -  domestic abuse refuge provision

0345 345 0272 
(24 hour helpline)
End the Fear (external link) - support for anyone who is experiencing domestic violence or abuse 0161 636 7525

Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council