We want you to be aware of the signs of abuse and neglect and help others to recognise when they, or someone they know, might need help and support.
Our #TogetherAgainstAbuse safeguarding campaign aims to raise awareness of abuse, what it is and how to report it.
If you see it, report it.
We’re asking everyone to be the ‘eyes and ears’ in their community. So if you have any safeguarding concerns about children, young people or adults, we encourage you to report it.
What is abuse?
Abuse can take many forms and all of them are distressing. Examples include:
- Physical - Hitting, pushing, misuse of medication, restraint
- Domestic - Physical, sexual, financial, emotional and so-called ‘honour’ based violence
- Psychological - Threats, humiliation, blaming, controlling, isolation, coercion, cyber bullying
- Financial - Theft, fraud, internet scamming, coercion concerning wills, property inheritance possessions or benefits
- Sexual - Rape, indecent exposure, sexual harassment, sexual acts, photography and assault to which the adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting
- Modern Slavery - Human trafficking, forced labour
- Neglect - Not being properly cared for, mismanaging medication, inadequate nutrition or heating
- Discriminatory on the grounds of religion, culture, gender, sexuality or disability
- Organisational - Neglect or poor practice within a setting such as a hospital, care home or a person’s own home
- Self-Neglect - Not caring for one’s personal hygiene and surroundings and non-engagement with services to the level where they are at significant risk.
Who might abuse?
Abuse can happen anywhere, at any time and be caused by anyone. It might be:
- A partner or relative
- A friend or neighbour
- A paid or volunteer carer
- Other service users
- Someone in a position of trust
- A stranger.
Who’s behind the campaign?
The Wigan Safeguarding Adult Board (WSAB) and Wigan Safeguarding Children Board (WSCB) oversees safeguarding work in the borough.
Organisations involved include Wigan Council, Greater Manchester Police and Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group, North West Boroughs NHS Foundation Trust and GM Fire and Rescue Service.
Our resource pack
Get involved and show your support by downloading our campaign resource pack: