Pavement cafe and trade display licence

We currently deal with applications for the following licences. However we can only consider applications for an area which is part of the Council’s maintained highway.

  • Pavement café licence (to place tables and chairs on the highway) 
  • Trade display licence (to place a display on the highway)

We do not authorise “A” boards on a pavement or footway that is part of the Council's maintained highway.

To find out if an area you are proposing to use is part of the Council’s maintained highway, please contact us.

Approval is not automatic and you should not place any furniture or displays on the highway until a licence has been issued. Applications should be processed within a 35 day period.

The size of the area to be licensed will depend on the site characteristics, safety considerations and the criteria set by us to maintain adequate highway space for both pedestrian and vehicle movement. An absolute minimum width of 1.8m must be left between the proposed area and the kerb, which may be increased to 3m in busier areas.

How to apply

Each application will be considered on its own merits and should.

Once the application has been accepted, there will be a 28 day consultation period, during which we will determine if the proposed area is suitable.

All new applications will also be required to display a notice at the premises for the 28 day consultation period. This notice will be supplied by us, once your application has been accepted.  This does not apply to renewal applications.

Fees and charges

Please note that these fees are subject to change.

  • Pavement café licence
    • Area less than 10m2 = £250.00 every two years
    • Area greater than 10 m2 = £400.00 every two years.
  • Trade display licence
    • £100.00 every two years.

Supporting documents

All supporting documents can be uploaded when applying online or can be sent by post once the application has been submitted. The application will not be processed until we are in receipt of all the supporting documents. Photographs or scans of documents are acceptable, providing the relevant information is clear.

Supporting documents include:

  • Location plan - Showing the premises in relation to its surrounding properties. It must be based on an up to date map
  • Detailed site plan - Scale of 1:100 and showing the proposed area applied for and the position of all the proposed furniture, including:
    • Any other street furniture in the area, such as lamp posts or bins
    • Distance from proposed area to kerb
    • Width / depth of the proposed area
    • Show that there is sufficient space around the proposed area so that all highway-related issues can be considered
  • Evidence of Public Liability Insurance (£5 million)
  • Furniture details
  • Photographs of all the proposed furniture to be used. Manufacturers’ detailed brochures would be an advantage.
  • Health and safety risk assessment (only applies to applications for pavement café licences) - In relation to the use of food and drink in the proposed area, and should also specify whether alcohol will be consumed
  • Details of premises in the vicinity (only applies to new applications) - Addresses of the owners / occupiers of the neighbouring properties, including any premises adjacent to the proposed area applied for, and trading name if premises is a business. You can add this information to the 'additional details' section of the application.

Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council