Could you be entitled to additional income?

This is the time of year that many people may struggle financially, with Christmas and increased fuel bills putting even more pressure on low income households.

Additional income requirements
 Type of support Who qualifies

Housing Benefit

Available to people on a low income who are renting their homes.

You cannot apply for Housing Benefit if you are receiving Universal Credit.

Discretionary Housing Payment

A Discretionary Housing Payment can give you limited short term help towards paying your rent if you are struggling. Last year we helped 3,773 customers who received an extra £685,485.

Free school meals

Claiming free school meals could save your household up to £418 a year per child.

Council Tax Reduction

To apply for Council Tax Reduction your name must be on the Council Tax bill. You may qualify if you are:

- On Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.

- On Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit.

- Working and on low pay (including people who are self-employed or on a low income).

Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions

There are lots of different reasons you could have a discount or exemption:

- Care leavers discount

- Single person discount if you are the only adult living in the property

- Empty property discount

- People with disabilities

- Disregard because of severe mental impairment

- Carers discount

Welfare rights advice and guidance

- Free, confidential advice and support on a range of welfare benefits.

- Help with completing claim forms.

- Guidance and support when making appeals.

There are a number of ways you can access welfare rights advice and guidance:

- Request an appointment to see a Welfare Rights Advisor for help with forms for disability related benefits.

- Arrange a home visit if you are house bound.

- Get advice about individual benefits and tax credits (external link).

- Visit one of our outreach surgeries.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council