Appeals - Council Tax

You can appeal against your Council Tax contribution if:

  • You believe that your property may be in the wrong valuation band (external link)
  • You believe that you do not have to pay Council Tax or that the amount of Council Tax you have been asked to pay is wrong.

Examples of this may include:

  • You are not the liable resident or the owner
  • Your property is exempt
  • You have been refused a discount or disabled band reduction you think you may be entitled to
  • You disagree with the amount of Council Tax Reduction you have been given
  • A mistake has been made in working out your bill.

If you think we have got something wrong and you want us to look at it again you must write to us at:

Wigan Council, Customer Services, PO Box 100, Wigan, WN1 3DS. We can only accept an appeal in writing. 

We strongly recommend you read our guidance before you make an appeal.

Making an appeal does not allow you to stop paying your Council Tax bill. If an appeal is successful, we can send you a refund for overpaid Council Tax.

If you disagree with the result of your appeal or if your appeal has not been dealt with in two months of receiving it, you may appeal further to the Valuation Tribunal England.

The Valuation Tribunal Service is an independent body set up by the government to deal with appeals.

Further information is available from the Tribunal Service website (external link)

Extra help for people with disabilities

Under certain circumstances a band reduction can be allowed for a property which is the home of a disabled person.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council