We offer free support and guidance for young people aged 0-19 (or 25 if they have learning or additional needs).
By addressing any concerns as quickly as possible we can make sure that young people get the support they need to reach their full potential.
What support is available?
We provide impartial and confidential support, advice and information for young people and their families including:
- Parenting advice and guidance to help address any concerns about behaviour in a positive way
- One-to-one support with an allocated worker
- Help with issues such as school attendance, teenage pregnancy, unemployment, risk-taking behaviour, housing, health and child poverty
- Support for 16-19 year olds to access employment, training and education
- Help for young people who are experiencing difficulties with change, for example the move from primary to secondary school
- A home based service called 'Portage' to help parents of children under 5 (with two or more additional needs) to develop play activities that encourage learning and development specific to the child's individual needs
- A range of developmental support activities for families throughout the year
- Telling families about other appropriate opportunities.
Other services that may help
- Family Directory (external link) - gives more information on childcare, activities for children, education and training, children’s centres, parenting, finance and more.
- LINC2 - has a list of things to do for your people, a survival guide and a section on how young people can have a say
If you’re looking for some help with a specific issue in your family, you may want to try some of these services listed below for help first.
If you think the Gateway Service is the most appropriate service for you, contact us on one of the telephone numbers below.
The Gateway Service is divided into five areas across Wigan Borough (called ‘localities’).
- Locality 1 (Shevington, Standish, Aspull, Wigan North) 01942 486097
- Locality 2 (Billinge, Orrell, Winstanley, Wigan South) 01942 487080
- Locality 3 (Ashton, Bryn, Abram, Platt Bridge, Hindley) 01942 487979
- Locality 4 (Leigh, Lowton, Golborne) 01942 200899
- Locality 5 (Astley, Tyldesley, Atherton) 01942 486344
If you’re a professional and working with someone who you think would benefit from the Gateway Service, please contact us.