We employ over 4,000 people who make sure that essential council services are provided to over 320,000 residents in the Wigan Borough.
Maybe you can become part of a team that makes a difference - take a look at the jobs we currently have available:
You can register for free job alerts.
How we do things
Since 2010, we have had to make some difficult decisions but rather than cutting services we have concentrated on transformation and saved over £100m. By 2019, we need to save another £60m.
To deliver these further savings, while still securing growth and delivering reform, we have set out our future plan until 2020 in The Deal for the Future.
This includes ambitious plans such as the creation of 5,000 jobs, 5,000 new homes and multi-purpose community hubs where residents can access a range of services under one roof.
We’ve also introduced BeWigan - a celebration of how we do things because we recognise that it’s not just about what we achieve; it’s also about how we do it.
BeWigan creates a shared culture that illustrates our fresh and unique approach to public service, celebrates our people and their achievements, and focuses us on our future and how we will achieve our priorities.
Our service structure
Our services are spread across three large directorates:
- People - Children, adults and families services such as education and social services and public health
- Places - Economy, skills and environment services such as highways, waste collection, environmental health, planning and building control and regeneration of the local economy
- Resources - Resources, contracts and customer transformation such as revenue collection and benefits, and citizen support.
We have an informal agreement with our employees called the staff deal. It outlines what our staff can expect from us and in return what we expect from them.
There are 3 behaviours that we expect our staff to embrace:
- Be Positive is all about taking pride in what you do, where you work and the service you offer to our customers. It’s also about celebrating our achievements and recognising a job well done
- Be Accountable is all about how we deliver our services, how we can work with partners and colleagues in a smarter way and ways which we can commit to making improvements
- Be Courageous is all about being open to doing things differently and being prepared to having a different conversation.
We promote equality of opportunity and are accredited with the disability confident employer symbol which shows our commitment to the employment of disabled people.
All our employees receive a range of benefits, from access to training and development opportunities to a reward scheme that offers excellent discounts on high street and online shopping.