Dangerous wild animals

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 states that licences are required to keep certain types of animals.

Application process

An application fee must be paid when you make your application. 

We will confirm that we have received both your application and fee and arrange to carry out an inspection. 

We will be joined on this inspection by a veterinary surgeon or approved practitioner who will submit a report on whether the cages, food and other living conditions are suitable. You will be required to pay the cost of this inspection.

How long will my application take?

We aim to determine applications within 28 days from receipt of a completed application, including payment. In some circumstances applications may take longer than 28 days whilst we liaise with the veterinary surgeon or approved practitioner.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before we can grant a licence. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period.

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Complaints about dangerous wild animals

Please contact us if you have a complaint about the welfare of an animal or nuisance caused by an animal.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council