Access policy for Household Waste Recycling Centres
Wigan Council and its contractors FCC Environment operate a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) access policy. This policy helps to reduce congestion, increase site safety and prevent the illegal deposition of trade waste at the centres. On arrival at the HWRC, meet and greet staff will inspect the items you wish to deposit. FCC Environment reserve the right to refuse access to anyone not complying with the access policy or attempting to deposit trade waste.
Trade waste is not permitted at the HWRC, this includes waste from traders, landlords or property developers. Depositing trade waste at a Wigan Borough household waste recycling centre may amount to the commission of a criminal offence under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Slag Lane and Chanters HWRCs will accept household waste brought to sites in:
- A car with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long*
- A van under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 3 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- A car or van under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer (up to 3m long) WITH A PERMIT
Kirkless HWRC will accept household waste brought to site in:
- A car with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long*
- A van under 3.5 tonnes with or without a single axle trailer up to 4 metres long* WITH A PERMIT
- A car or van under 3.5 tonnes with a twin axle trailer (up to 4m long) WITH A PERMIT
*Please note: Trailer length is measured from the hitch to the end of the trailer
- Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes WILL NOT be allowed at any of the HWRCs
- Vehicles WILL NOT be allowed to use a tipping mechanism at any of the HWRCs vehicles must be manually unloaded
- Trailers over 4 metres WILL NOT be allowed at any of the HWRCs
- Trailers over 3 metres long WILL NOT be allowed at Slag Lane site
- Anyone deemed to be using abusive or intimidating behaviour WILL NOT be allowed to use any of the HWRCs
- Pedestrians WILL NOT be allowed to carry waste onto any of the HWRCs
For the purpose of this permit scheme a ‘Van’ shall be deemed to be:
- Any Vehicle without side or rear windows or seats
- Any ‘flat back’ vehicle
- Any ‘pick up’ vehicle, with or without detachable cover to rear load area
- Any vehicle with ‘blanked out’ rear windows
A valid ‘permit’ must be obtained in advance from the Environmental Services Helpline on 01942 404 364 or by applying online, which will be posted to your property. Each household is entitled to one permit per month. The number of permits issued to any vehicle or premises will be monitored.
Hire vehicle - If you are using a hire vehicle please ensure you take your hire vehicle documents with you along with your waste permit, when you visit the Household Waste Recycling Centre.
Monitoring in place
The permit system is monitored. We will review the number of visits made by individual residents and/or vehicles to the Household Waste Recycling Centre and we may contact you if it appears that the number of visits you or your vehicle make might suggest activity more like that of a trader than a householder.