Getting married abroad

If you are having your ceremony abroad and have been asked for a ‘certificate of no impediment’ then you will need to make an appointment to give a notice of marriage at your local registration office.

Please note a ‘certificate of no impediment’ can only be taken from a British subject.

  • If two British people are marrying abroad then both would need to attend the appointment.
  • If one British person is marrying a foreign national abroad, then only the British person would need to attend to give notice.
  • If you do not hold British nationality please contact your local consulate office for further advice.

You will need to bring with you the exact wording we need to add to the certificate for your place of marriage, this usually comes via email from your wedding co-ordinator. We cannot advise on these details.

You will also need to establish how long your certificate will be valid for - some countries insist the ‘certificate of no impediment’ is dated within 3 or 6 months from the date of marriage. You must make sure you book your appointment allowing enough time (28 days) for the certificate to be produced and posted out to you.

Making an appointment

Before making an appointment, please ensure that the Country you are getting married in requires/accepts a certificate of no impediment.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council